Tips On Dating Someone Who’s The Exact Opposite Of You
As the saying goes, “opposites do attract.” It’s true, but does it make sense? Even though opposites are drawn to one another at first, can a long-term relationship last between them?
It all depends on how far apart you are from each other. Even if two people are vastly different, they may be able to maintain a harmonious relationship despite their differences.
Being attracted to your opposite vs. dating your opposite
There is a fine line between attraction and compatibility. If you find yourself drawn to a person who is so different from you, it doesn’t mean that the relationship will succeed. You may be a responsible and loyal person, but you’re drawn to someone who is a little less so. However, does this mean that your relationship will succeed??
Rory and Jess from Gilmore Girls are a great example of this. He’s volatile and unreliable, whereas she’s a rule-abiding bookworm who never defies the law. However, when it comes down to a good relationship’s inner workings, this can generate nothing but dismay.
There are two types of people who can make things work better together: those who are more analytical and those who are more creative and impulsive. In this circumstance, dating your opposite could bring out the best in you. They could challenge each other to be more responsible or more adventurous, depending on their personalities.
Whether or not you’re attracted to someone relies on how similar you are to them.
Is it okay to date your polar opposite?
All of these situations have their own unique advantages and downsides, just as I’ve stated. Dating someone who is completely opposite of you can be a great decision for some people, but it can also be a bad one for others. As a result, should you date your opposite?
Relationships can be more fulfilling when you’re attracted to someone who is the polar opposite of your personality traits; this is especially true if your partner is gregarious while you’re reserved.
Although they are polar opposites, they can work well together. It’s a team effort rather than a direct confrontation. These polar opposites work together to create harmony. A new aspect of you and your spouse may emerge as a result, and you may be pushed beyond what you ever imagined.
When it comes to dating your opposite, there are numerous possibilities. Nevertheless, there are a few to be wary of. Make sure you’re aware of all of your partner’s vulnerabilities, especially if you’re an independent person and he or she is codependent, or if you’re insecure and your partner is self-confident.
If the roles are reversed, then the same applies to all of the above. These kinds of relationships might backfire and do more harm than good. In the worst-case scenario, it could lead to your demise. When you and your partner have significant differences of opinion, emotions like envy, control, and anger might arise.
Is the person on the other end of the phone compatible with you?
Dating your opposite can work even in the most perilous conditions if you know what you’re in for. The first step to achieving harmony with your partner is to recognize the differences between the two of you. Identifying how neat you are versus how messy your partner is ahead of time will help you focus your efforts. You can let off of the reins a little so that they can clean up a little.
In the event that you’re a homebody, start with day trips and work your way up to road trips and eventually flights while enjoying occasional staycations.
When you’re dating your polar opposite, it’s great if your opposites complement one another. You and your spouse could benefit from each other if you’re both prone to emotional outbursts and your partner is more calm and collected. The relationship could fade out if you two are both impulsive.
A relationship can be more intriguing and strengthen its bonds if it includes a variety of people with differing viewpoints, personalities, and even lifestyles. As a result, don’t rule out the possibility of dating your polar opposite.
How to find a life partner who is the complete opposite of you
How do you go about dating your opposite now that you know it’s possible and beneficial?
1. Bend. As singles, we have a tendency to see ourselves through one lens. It’s possible that if we meet someone who makes traveling or getting out seem like enjoyable, we’ll change our minds about being an introvert or homebody. I don’t care what they think or what they think of me. I’m doing this for myself, not for them. Trying new activities with a partner who seems so polar opposite can really make you happy because you may discover that you have more in common than you believe. Things to do together that will leave a lasting impression and help cement your relationship
2. Find a way to connect. While it may be true that you and your spouse both enjoy rom-coms, look at the things you do share. Is it possible that you grew up in a similar environment? Is your family a single-parent one? Do you share my love of animals?
Even though you have very different interests and personalities, it doesn’t mean you weren’t brought together in the same way.
3. Find out more. Your partner’s inconsistency or mobility can be difficult if you abide by a strict moral code and always honor your promises. Put that concept to rest and move on to the next thing. Find out what motivates your partner to behave in this manner. Persuade them to tell you why they have trouble setting long-term goals or remaining put. If you take a closer look at some of your most diametrically opposed traits, you can understand why you love them.
4. Negotiate sensibly. In a healthy relationship, fighting is inevitable, but it doesn’t have to involve yelling and shutting down the other person. It is good and beneficial to argue properly and maturely in order to build your relationship.
If you’re not on board, then don’t bother. It’s unhealthy and leads to animosity when you lie or change your mind to avoid a disagreement. Disagreements should be spoken openly and honestly, so that both of you can hear what the other person has to say. However, if you can’t understand where they’re coming from, there’s no use in changing your own perspective.
5. Recognize and respect your personal boundaries. Compromise is essential in any healthy relationship, but it’s more critical when you’re dating someone who is the complete opposite of you. If you don’t like a certain movie genre or sexual inclination, don’t be afraid to express your displeasure.
The fact that you and your companion are willing to put in the effort to work out hard is very wonderful! It’s important to let them know if something is too far outside of your capabilities or comfort zone. That is something they should be aware of and respect.
6. Don’t be afraid to take charge of your own life. A relationship in which both partners exclude one another is sometimes called a “dating your opposite” It’s not a harsh thing to leave them out. It’s all about preserving your individuality and freedom. Rather of doing everything together, focus on the areas where you and your partner disagree.
Join your pals for a horror movie marathon, or watch it by yourself while they go pottery-making or hiking. Not every relationship necessitates compromising or trying each other’s ideas. When you need to keep some things to yourself, that’s perfectly fine too.
7. Find ways to listen and understand your partner’s perspective without having experienced it, and that you love each other despite your differences. That you two are attracted to one another and have worked out how to make each other better by bringing out the best in each other’s weaknesses.
If you and your companion are up for some rigorous workouts, that’s fantastic! It’s important to let them know if something is too far outside of your capabilities or comfort zone. That is something they should be aware of and respect.
Find ways to listen and understand your partner’s perspective without having experienced it, and that you love each other even though you’re on opposing sides of the spectrum. That you two are attracted to one another and have worked out how to make each other better by bringing out the best in each other’s weaknesses.